NICA 2024 - Race 2 - Wrangle in Warda - 02/04/2024

TLDR: This was the first race of the season after the original one was canceled due to heavy rainfall the week before. The course was extremely muddy, but I managed to win and had a great time.

    After the first race was canceled because of rain, the league decided to go through with this race, even though it was really muddy. After my dad came back from the coach's pre-ride, I decided I shouldn't pre-ride because of the conditions. I had ridden Warda several times recently, so I was confident in my knowledge of the course. After seeing everyone return from the team pre-ride, I was glad I hadn't gone, because they were caked in mud. The rest of the day I took it chill around camp and hung out with the team. We had a team dinner of burgers and salad. I got to sleep around 9:15. 

When I woke up around 8:45, I had breakfast tacos instead of oatmeal, which was a first. I was definitely starting to feel nervous now. I went to cheer on my teammates, and then I set up my trainer for my warm-up next to the trail to cheer on racers as I was warming up. I was trying out a new warm-up, and because I didn't realize it was longer than my old one, I barely made it to the start line in time. Luckily, I got there in time to be called up to the line in my regular call-up instead of getting bounced back. After the starting sprint, I ended up 3rd. I got around 2nd place around halfway through the 1st lap on a downhill jeep road. 

    While trying to catch up to 1st place, I encountered my first mud puddle. Because I hadn't pre-ridden, the condition of the trail really surprised me. The first mud pit reminded me of the sand pit in the one cyclocross race I'd done, so I didn't have too much trouble with it. The next one, I saw 1st place running through a mud pit. Seeing her, I got excited and went straight through the middle of the mud puddle, and I found out why she was walking. There was a big hole in the middle that was hidden under a big puddle of water, and my front tire dove into it, stopping me in my tracks. The mud was deep, and the toes of my shoes were completely soaked through with mud by the time I got out of it. The next half mile or so was riddled with mud pits, and slowly but surely I caught up with 1st place. After I caught up with her, I saw a mud puddle that she went through the center of. I saw an alternate line around the edge that would work, and I filed it away for later. 

    By the start of the second lap, I was fully caught up, and I wasn't letting go of her wheel. I got through the first quarter of the lap with no problem, and then the mud started. At the first mud puddle I had trouble with, we both went on the right side, but I put a foot down. I was able to get started back up immediately, but I had to work to grab her wheel again. Then, I heard a sound that made my heart drop. I checked behind me and confirmed my suspicions. Third place had caught up with us. My mind raced as I tried to calculate how this would change the finish. As I was thinking, I noticed that we were nearing the mud puddle that I'd seen the alternate line to. First place went in the middle again and bobbled, and I took the outside to get around her. For a second I didn't think I would make the pass, because as soon as I came around her she started running, but I made it. Because she had to get back on her bike, I was able to get a head start, which I used to grow the gap. 

    For the last lap, I was sure that she would come up behind me at any second, so I kept pushing. That lap was the most painful, but I was determined to stay away. On the one hand, I was so excited to be in the front, but on the other, I was paranoid that I wouldn't be in first for long. Being in front increased my nerves and adrenaline, so I kept making tiny mistakes. I was especially twitchy in the mud pits because I was worried I was going to make a mistake and lose the gap I had. I had to keep taking deep breaths and reminding myself to keep my cool. When I saw the finish, I sprinted as hard as I could, and as I crossed the line I felt exhilarated. I think the first thing I said to my dad was, "I'm so happy." It was all I could think about, I felt so light I thought I was going to float away. 

    After that, I went around and congratulated everyone, and when I went back to camp, I lost track of time and almost missed the podiums. I know. Not my proudest moment. Standing on the podium, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. 

Up next? My first men's race (!?!?). Stay tuned!










Comments